September 5th (national UUA call) & September 11th (MN call)
Dear Minnesota UU’s,
However you are able, please let your friends, circles, and congregations know about TWO conference calls via Zoom (phone conference calls or simultaneous online video chats) coming up, first on Thursday Sept. 5 at 3 PM Central, with the NATIONAL UUA Climate Justice organizers, and the second on Wednesday Sept. 11th, at 7pm, with the Minnesota UU Climate Justice Circle.
HERE is a short blurb if you have capacity to post this on your Facebook or Twitter pages or email to congregants and friends (we will TRY in future to give you more advance notice when possible!!) …
MUUSJA (www.muusja.org) invites UU’s to participate in two calls preparing us to participate in faithful action with the Sept. 20th Global Climate Strike. On Thursday 9/5 at 3pm CST, join national UUA organizers online or by phone; sign up at https://tinyurl.com/y4rtz4h2 On Wednesday 9/11 at 7pm, join the call with organizers from Minnesota UU congregations who will be convening at the State Capitol on 9/20 and joining the 9/21-9/22 prayer circles with Honor The Earth at the Mississippi River headwaters; sign up for the Minnesota call at
Here are more details about the national call — we welcome everyone connected with your congregation(s) and all “unchurched” or CLF UU’s!
Side with Love: UUs & the Climate Strike Webinar–Thursday, Sept. 5th, BEGINNING AT 3 PM CENTRAL TIME
Register now for our September 5th Side with Love Webinar–UUs & the Climate Strike: https://tinyurl.com/y4rtz4h2
Are you ready to demand a just and sustainable world? A right to a future for our youth and young adults?
On September 20, three days before the UN Climate Summit in NYC, young people and adults will strike all across the US and the world to demand transformative action be taken to address the climate crisis. We know governments won’t deliver climate action and justice on their own, so we’re going on #climatestrike to show them what people power is capable of creating.
We know the solutions we need including a just transition away from the exploitative fossil fuel economy. We’re inviting you to join other UUs and faith groups and millions more.
We will be hearing from UU youth and other youth organizers who are leading this movement, including:
* Sophia Geiger, National Organizer for Fridays for Future, one of six youth-led groups organizing for the Climate Strike. Sophia is 16 and also organizes locally in DC. She is a member of the UU Church of Silver Springs, MD and active in their youth group.
* Levi Draheim, age 12, plaintiff in a legal action launched in 2015 by two associations, Our Children’s Trust and Earth Guardians, against the US government over climate change. Levi is a member of the UU Church of Brevard.
Other speakers include:
* Everette Thompson, Side with Love Campaign Manager, and former organizer at 350.org.
* Rev. Peggy Clarke, Senior Minister, The Community Church UU, in New York City. Peggy is a long time activist for climate justice and is a member of Green Faith, and organizes with Extinction Rebellion and 350.org in New York. She has led a team of UU clergy in putting together an excellent packet of worship materials for Worship Services [SEE LINK IN COMMENTS] on or before September 15 on the Global Climate Strikes as well as an informational flyer on the Strikes and the many ways we can participate
* Laura Wagner, President of the Coalition of UU State Action Networks. Laura and her climate team are organizing for the MA Climate Strike and hope to engage all 160 UU congregations and their youth groups in MA. She will also share what other UU State Action Networks are doing.
* Ana Maria De La Rosa, Senior Grassroots Organizer at UUSC https://www.uusc.org/about-uusc/staff/
* TBA – Other youth and young adult organizers and a speaker from 350.org.
We will have updates for you, let you know how you can plug in, and plenty of time to answer your questions and hear about what you are doing. The QUICKEST way to check this in Minnesota is on the MUUSJA Facebook page but we will also try to post updates to the website as quickly as possible, too, at www.muusja.org
Follow & RSVP there for the Sept. 20th Global Climate Strike and Week of Action by locating an event near you and you will be in touch with local organizers. This information will also be shared with us so that we can mobilize UUs as powerfully as possible.
Karen E. Wills, Acting Executive Director, MUUSJA, 612-927-2072