MUUSJA connects UU's and allied communities to shape a just and loving world.
WHAT WE DO
MUUSJA coordinates UU faith-based nonpartisan work to protect democracy, voting rights, and voter engagement in Minnesota, North and South Dakota, and contributes to national #UUtheVOTE. Read all our related blog posts and updates.
- In 2020-2021, MUUSJA presented Zoom services/forums on UUtheVOTE to 14 congregations, created a “Menu of Engagement” for volunteers, shared via email & Facebook, and hosted weekly online regional info & coaching forums with guest partners from August through October 2020
· Recruited and coordinated 470 UU’s from 23 congregations, and ~30 unaffiliated volunteers, for direct action (postcards, letters, phoning, texting, poll workers, or poll monitoring).
· Added textbanks with When We All Vote to the UUtheVote national website & coordinated national UU texting volunteers.
· Created training slides for ThruText & co-hosted some UU GA phonebanks.
· Organized & led 2 rallies to protect the United States Postal Service, with mail carriers unions & Poor People’s Campaign, with vols from 4 UU congregations.
· With #LoveVoteRise artists’ project, we postered multiethnic districts & small towns across MN with artist signs with QR code link to multilingual info about how to vote.
· Participation: ~500 volunteers connected with 23 UU congregations across MN and North Dakota. We contacted but did not connect with 2 in South Dakota, or some smaller MN fellowships that disband during summer.
· Planned & co-led events with 17 Partners: Bad Ass Grandmas (Bismarck forum); Common Cause (census, coalition); Indivisible Leaders (postcards); MN League of Women Voters (lawn signs, voter registration drives); MN Voice/WeVote (phonebanks); ISAIAH (phonebanks); Census Hub (census phonebanks); Reclaim Our Vote (postcards, phonebanks); Vote Forward (letters); When We All Vote (texting); Justice Squad, Delta Sigma Theta, United Theological Seminary, & Poor People’s Campaign (voter registration); #LoveHopeRise (postering); national UUtheVote (phonebanks); COPAL (Comunidades Organizando el Poder y la Acción Latina) poll monitoring.
· ~100 people were involved in the USPS protection protests w/ 3 news articles.
· ~100 posters placed & photos boosted on social media (with QR code to voter info) reached about 5000 views, see https://www.instagram.com/explore/tags/lovevoterise/
· Direct voter contact: Our partners did not provide the voter contact numbers for phonebanks, texting, or voter registrations, but we recorded:
o At least 59,000 letters or postcards were mailed by MUUSJA volunteers.
o Co-hosted 7 phonebanks to WI, GA, FL, PA, & MN, with UUA, MN Voice, & ISAIAH. (Partners did not provide exact numbers of MUUSJA-affiliated volunteers or call numbers.)
o Co-hosted 24 biweekly textbanks with When We All Vote with 30 known vols.
o Co-hosted 7 direct voter registration events.
We are grateful to the UU Funding Program, UUA’s UU the Vote, Minnesota Voice, and Still Ain’t Satisfied Foundation for their generous support of MUUSJA’s democracy defending.