Our mission is to unleash courageous leadership and collective power to build a just and loving world. Guided by our Unitarian Universalist Principles, we value:
Looking around, there is a fair share of cruelty, greed, injustice and evil. As UUs, we believe a better world is possible. MUUSJA exists because we believe and know that UUs can make a difference. This is why MUUSJA continues to address housing and homelessness, healthcare reform, environment and climate, racial and economic justice and voting rights, LGBTIQ rights and reproductive justice.
2014 has been a year of transitions:
• Ashley Horan became the Executive Director in July after Ralph Wyman stepped down from serving as Executive Director and Laura Smidzik as the interim Director – both Ralph and Laura still are active as volunteers in MUUSJA
• Jenny Thomas stepped down after numerous years as board chair and Judy Goebel and Gail Bishop have taken on the role of Co-Chairs
• We submitted an application to become a 501(c)(3) organization which resulted in revising the Articles of Incorporation and Bylaws
• We transitioned our organizational recordkeeping from a spreadsheet to an online tool that manages MUUSJA’s contacts, donations, financial records, website and newsletters, positioning us to maintain our relationship with Minnesota UUs seamlessly and more efficiently
• The Board of Directors has increased to 13 members representing 9 UU congregations
New to MUUSJA this year:
• UU-YELP, the Unitarian Universalist Youth Engaging Legislation Program, brings Twin City high school UUs together at the intersection of faith formation and social justice through understanding the legislative process.
• A Rapid Response Network of activities who want to take immediate action on issues – click here to join the network
MUUSJA dreams of unleashing more courageous leadership and collective power with your help:
• Develop social justice curriculum and program materials for use by congregations and fellowships
• Expand UU-YELP to more high school students
• Grow the website to show more news about what Minnesota UUs are doing for justice, foster more collaboration and provide more resources.
• Expand our outreach so know more about MUUSJA
If you share these dreams, click here to make a 2015 New Year's resolution to support the work of justice throughout the year by becoming a monthly sustainer of MUUSJA.
Your monthly donation will make MUUSJA stronger and will help us make a more just and loving Minnesota a reality.
In faith and solidarity,
Ashley, Gail, and Judy
P.S. The youngest supporter of MUUSJA was born Dec. 9th at 1:44am. Ashley and her family as so pleased to welcome Aspen Bell Hutt-Horan to the world.
Unleashing courageous leadership and collective power to realize a just and loving world.