UU VOTES!Stop at the HUB after services on September 28 to support UU VOTES. You can:
For more information, contact either
MUUSJA/AUW Voting Rights Working Group 2014-2015 Plan
1. Protect and promote voting rights, access and participation for all citizens.
2. Work to have all vote counts be accurate, verifiable, secure and transparent.
• Jenny Thomas: (612) 920-4246 email@example.com
• Cathy Pernu (612) 721-2088 firstname.lastname@example.org
Results from Past Years
• 2013-2014: MUUSJA is member of Restore the Vote Coalition working to extend voting rights to all citizens with felony convictions living in the community. MUUSJA is a member of Voting Rights Coalition that supported passage of No Excuse Absentee Voting and Online Voter Registration.
• 2011-2012: worked with CEIMN, LWVMN and Our Vote Our Future coalition to help defeat voter restriction amendment in MN.
• 2010: published "Facts About Ineligible Voting" report; organized program on Election Day Registration and Voter ID at General Assembly (GA) in Minneapolis.
• 2009: organized 2 programs on democracy at GA in SLC; passed AIW encouraging federal reform.
• 2008: partnered with Election Day Community Coalition organized by Minneapolis Urban League; registered over 500 voters in precincts with historically low-voter turnout.
• 2007: passed Response Resolution at GA in Portland, OR to promote learning on racism in voting.
• 2006: began as working group, eventually including members from First Univ, Groveland, MN Valley, FUS. Have held educational programs throughout State (audiences of 5-450 people).
Goals for 2014/2015
1. TURNOUT - promote high voter turnout in November 2014 among UUs and overall. Join efforts for voter registration and engagement, especially where historically low-turnout.
2. ADVOCACY & EDUCACTION: support passage of Restore the Vote coalition 2015 legislation.
3. PARTICIPATION - promote UU service as election judge (including high school students) & CEIMN observation volunteer.
Long-term Election Goals in MN:
o Voter-Marked Paper Ballots (protect)
o Election Day Voter Registration (protect)
o Best Practices in Audits and Recounts (improve in MN as opportunities exist)
o High voter turnout (improve in MN as opportunities exist)
o Felon voting rights restoration & engagement in communities of color (pass in MN)
o Publicly financed elections (pass in MN)
• Voting Rights Coalition (VRC) associated with MN Council of Nonprofits (MCN): support their agenda to promote pro-democracy election legislation and rules and turnout in MN.
• Restore the Vote Coalition part of VRC focused on felon voter restoration and engagement.
• Citizens for Election Integrity MN (CEIMN.org): help with citizen observations of audits, recounts, equipment testing, educational programs, national communication of Audit and Recount Best Practices Reports, etc.
• League of Women Voters MN (lwvmn.org): collaborate on voter engagement and educational programs on elections issues.
• MN Faith-Based Groups: Jewish Community Action, Isaiah, MN Council of Churches, etc.
• UU SANs: for national issues and AIW (related to reforms for Citizens United)
Current IssuesNational Popular Vote (NPV)
There has been a lot of discussion in the local press recently about National Popular Vote (NPV), but you should know that the leaders of MUUSJA's Voting Rights group are strongly opposed to this concept. Watch for a program to discuss this complicated issue in the coming months.